At Kennebunk Center for Dentistry, we strive to provide you the comprehensive care you deserve. In addition to traditional dental services, we are among the few centers in Northern New England that has an Oral Medicine service.
Oral Medicine is a branch of dentistry that focuses on diagnosing and treating patients with complex medical conditions in the mouth and maxillofacial area (head, neck, and jaw). Oral Medicine differs from oral and maxillofacial surgery because it often involves non-invasive treatments. We work closely with world-renowned oral pathologists who interpret all biopsies obtained from Kennebunk Center for Dentistry.
Common conditions diagnosed and managed by an oral medicine physician include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oral mucosal disorders such as recurrent aphthous stomatitis (cankers), oral lichen planus, pemphigoid, and pemphigus vulgaris
- Oral infections such as herpes and candidiasis (yeast)
- Pre-cancerous conditions such as oral leukoplakia and erythroplakia
- Oral cancer
- Oral complications of cancer therapy such as mucositis, graft-versus-host disease, and jaw osteonecrosis
- Oral manifestation of systemic disorders such as crohn disease, lupus erythematosus, and hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia
- Oro-facial pain disorders such as burning mouth syndrome and temporomandibular joint disorders
- Salivary gland disorders such as dry mouth/ xerostomia, salivary gland stones, and Sjögren’s syndrome
- Oral manifestations of malnutrition, allergies, and medication side effects
- Dentistry for medically complex patient and evaluation prior to cancer therapies or transplantation
An Oral Medicine specialist will often work with your healthcare provider(s) to coordinate treatments and suggest any precautions that may be necessary in your routine dental or medical visits. This may also help identify any underlying medical condition that may be affecting your oral health. For more information, please contact us at 207-985-7944 and schedule an appointment with Dr. Sara Sheikh and Dr. Muhammad Ali Shazib to discuss any questions.